This challenge was perfect for the Christmas season, as it was very quick and simple to complete. The recipe calls for a gingerbread spice mixture which makes the house smell amazing when the bread is in the oven. The bread is delicious by itself, but is especially good when slathered with butter.
Makes 1 loaf
1 large egg
1 tablespoon cane sugar syrup
1 cup, less 2 tablespoons, lukewarm water
1 tablespoon gingerbread spice mixture (see below)
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
Gingerbread spice mixture:
6 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mace
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together egg, cane sugar syrup, water, spice mixture, and brown sugar in a large bowl until dissolved.
3. Stir in flour and baking powder with a wooden spoon until well combined. There may be some small lumps remaining.
4. Pour batter into lined loaf pan and bake for about 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Allow cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to continue cooling.
-Adapted from recipe available at http://thedaringkitchen.com/recipe/dutch-sweet-bread-ontbijtkoek
-Posted by Jennifer