I remember seeing recipes for whoopie pies everywhere a few years ago, but never had an opportunity to try them myself. Therefore, I was excited to finally try these cookies for this challenge. I decided to stick with the traditional chocolate flavor for the cookie, but filled them with a mint cream cheese frosting to give them a holiday touch. I rolled the whoopie pies in Andes peppermint baking chips for an added crunch and flavor. The result was rich and delicious!
|Getting ingredients together for the cookies|
|Scooping cookies out in tablespoon-sized balls.|
|Filling the cookies with mint cream cheese frosting|
|Rolling whoopie pies in peppermint pieces|
Makes about 16 small pies
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat together butter, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla in a large bowl. Once batter is smooth, beat in egg.
3. Sift in cocoa powder and stir until combined.
4. Beat in about a third of the flour, and then 1/3 cup of the milk. Continue alternating between beating in the flour and the milk, scraping the bowl occasionally, until all has been mixed in.
5. Drop the dough in tablespoon-sized balls on the prepared baking sheets. Leave room between the cookies for them to spread.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are set. Remove from oven and allow to cool on pans before carefully separating them from the parchment paper to cool on racks.
7. Sandwich cookies with cream cheese filling (recipe below) and roll in crushed peppermint pieces for garnish.
Mint Cream Cheese Filling
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp mint extract
Peppermint baking chips/crushed peppermint candy (optional)
1. Beat together cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, milk and mint extract until well combined. If filling is too thick, add a little more milk.
-Chocolate whoopie pie recipe adapted from recipe by King Arthur Flour, available at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-chocolate-whoopie-pies-recipe. Mint cream cheese filling recipe adapted from recipe for YourCupofCake's mint buttercream, available at http://www.yourcupofcake.com/2011/05/andes-mint-cupcakes.html.
-Posted by Jennifer