This challenge was different than most, because it offered a choice between 4 different types of pies. While all of the choices looked delicious, I ultimately chose to make the Crostata di Marmellata, as I have never attempted to make a lattice crust before, and wanted to challenge myself to try something new. This pie was quite tasty, although very sweet. I really enjoyed the crust, which tastes like a lemony shortbread, and is definitely good enough to be eaten on its own. I would love to experiment with different fillings for this pie next time, to tone down the sweetness a little bit.
|Prepare strawberry jam filling.|
|Mix together pastry crust, and line pie dish.|
|Fill the par-baked crust with strawberry filling and use remaining pastry dough to create a lattice.|
|Bake and enjoy!|
Crostata di Marmellata
3-1/3 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
1-1/2 cups sugar
7 tsp pectin
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Pasta Frolla (Italian pie pastry):
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cups sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1. Make filling: Stir together all of the filling ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, while stirring constantly. Allow mixture to boil for exactly one minute, then remove from heat. Allow to cool completely.
2. Begin making pie pastry by creaming together butter and sugar with a stand or hand mixer, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg, vanilla and lemon zest, until thoroughly mixed. Add the flour and salt, and beat just until dough comes together, about 1 minute.
3. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Lightly grease a 9" pie dish.
5. Roll out 2/3 of the dough on a lightly floured surface to fit the pie dish. Transfer dough to pie dish and roll the edges to provide a surface to attach the lattice later. Use a fork to prick the bottom of the crust all over.
6. Refrigerate pie dough in pie dish for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line pastry in pie dish with parchment paper and fill with pie weights (or dry beans). Bake for 15 minutes.
8. Remove pie weights and parchment paper. Allow crust to cool.
9. Preheat oven to 400 F.
10. Spread the strawberry filling over the pie crust.
11. Roll out remaining pie dough into thin strips to fit the pie dish. Arrange the strips over the filling, in a lattice pattern. Pinch the ends of the strips to the rolled edges of the crust.
12. Bake pie for about 20 minutes, until lattice is golden.
13. Allow to cool completely before enjoying.
-Adapted from Carol Field's "The Italian Baker", available at http://carolfield.com/category/books/the-italian-baker/
-Posted by Jennifer