Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


I tend to be kind of particular about everything I eat or drink, but I'm especially bad about milk.  It has to be chocolate (as in it came that way from the store, not mixed with syrup at home) and it must be from Jersey cows.  So when my dad decided he wanted mint chocolate chip ice cream made with Jersey cow milk/cream for Father's Day I knew it would be some of the creamiest ice cream ever!






Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 ½ cups milk
2 ¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups half and half
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups whipping cream
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
½ teaspoon green food coloring
12 oz. (2 cups) grated semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips

Scald milk until bubbles form around the edge of the pan.  Remove from the heat, add the sugar and salt, stirring until dissolved.  Stir in the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the chocolate chips.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes, covered, then freeze according to instructions.  Once done, remove the mixing paddle and stir in the chocolate chips.

Makes 4 quarts  

*I used very little food coloring.  Also, we used the mini chips.

- This recipe was included in the instruction manual for my Rival Electric Ice Cream Maker.

~Posted by Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment